Cumbria hotel fined £16,000 after best man suffers anaphylaxis at wedding

A Cumbria hotel has been fined £16,000 after the best man at a wedding suffered anaphylaxis due to nuts in the canapés.

The operator of Hipping Hall in Cumbria has been fined £16,000 following the incident, which occurred in December 2021, despite the venue being informed that two guests had nut allergies, including one with a peanut allergy.

Featured in the 2010 TV series "The Trip," Hipping Hall concluded its operations in July 2023 and is currently in search of a buyer. The penalty was levied against Casterton Leisure Limited, the operator of the restaurant.

Casterton Leisure Limited admitted guilt to a single offence under The Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013. Alongside the fine, they were mandated to settle a victim surcharge of £190 and cover costs amounting to £7,071.41.

District Judge John McGarva noted that what should have been a joyous occasion for the wedding guests was overshadowed by the incident, which posed a real risk of death for the affected guest. Lancaster City councillor Joanne Ainscough stressed that all businesses bear a fundamental responsibility to guarantee the safety of the food they offer, which includes catering to customers with allergies, intolerances, or coeliac disease.

In the UK, food businesses must provide accurate information about any of the 14 major allergens when they are used as ingredients in the food and drink they provide.