Woman collapsed and died during pub lunch

A Masters student died after suffering an allergic reaction to a mushroom risotto she had ordered during a pub lunch with her family, an inquest has heard.

Georgina Mansergh, aged 24, experienced an allergic reaction to sesame seed oil used in the tahini sauce during her visit to the Angel Inn in Ferndown on February 11, 2023. Nigel Mansergh, her father, shared during the hearing at Bournemouth town hall that while his daughter was initially diagnosed with a nut allergy at the age of two, they later discovered she also had reactions to seeds.

He said Georgina, who also suffered from eczema and asthma, had previously suffered only mild reactions such as tingly lips or vomiting. The inquest heard how Georgina would be “embarrassed” if they raised her allergies when eating at restaurants.

Mr Mansergh added that his daughter would avoid dishes containing seeds or nuts but eat those marked as “may contain nuts”. He described how Georgina began to suffer a reaction at the pub and had gone to vomit in the toilets after starting the dish which prompted his wife to go back home to pick up an antihistamine. By the time she returned, their daughter’s condition had worsened and an ambulance was called.

Mr Mansergh said: “She collapsed on me, that was when she passed out.”

He said: “Family and staff members were carrying out CPR until paramedics arrived. Despite their best efforts, Georgie was declared dead at the scene.”

He added: “We can’t begin to describe how devastated we and our sons are at the loss of our beautiful girl and it is difficult to comprehend that she has gone.”

Mr Mansergh said her reaction to the dish was “not like anything she had experienced before” and added that she was aware of what foods she should avoid “which makes this even more tragic”.

He added that she had not been advised to carry an EpiPen because her symptoms had always previously been “mild to moderate”.

Mr Mansergh said his daughter was used to checking menus for allergens and added that the family did not “hold the restaurant to blame at all”.

He suggested that better signage about allergens and more prompts when reserving places and ordering food could prevent future incidents.

Describing his daughter, he said: “She had a boyfriend, had lots of friends. She was a vegan and cared greatly about the environment and animal welfare. She was very keen on health and fitness.”

James Wyer, who was general manager at the Angel Inn at the time, said the family had ordered their food in advance by email and had not given any notification of any allergies or food intolerances. He said that staff would ask about allergies when taking reservations and orders and any meals would then be prepared separately for affected customers. The hearing was told Dorset Council Trading Standards did not take any action against the pub as it complied with all requirements.

Coroner Richard Middleton said the cause of death was acute anaphylaxis due to sesame seed allergy and recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Source: Yahoo news